53 F
Maricopa
Thursday, March 28, 2024

Puff prefers to have her own family

I'm Puff, a young (10-12-month-old) girl who was found wandering on the Ak Chin Reservation in early April.

Farrell retains seat on council; Prop 100 passing overwhelmingly (updated 11:15 a.m.)

Maricopans have spoken. With a record 10,314 votes cast in the general election, incumbent Edward Farrell will return to his seat on the Maricopa City Council.

Maricopa resident now a published poet

PublishAmerica is proud to announce the recent release of Leamon (Bud) C. Ryan's new book of poetry, The Sum of Autumn.  

Facts about Prop 100, the sales tax measure

Times are very difficult for our schools. A YES vote on the temporary 1-cent sales tax will not fix all the budget woes; cuts are going to be required no matter what. But voting YES will prevent cuts at a level that would be devastating to our elementary, middle and high schools.

Legacy Traditional opens new gymnasium with musical

Annie certainly has something to sing about. And that would be the opening of the Legacy Traditional School's new campus gymnasium on June 2, which will play host to the theatrical production, Annie Jr.

Air quality forecasts now available by e-mail

National Air Quality Awareness Week 2010 has just ended, but Pinal County and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency want to enhance public awareness by offering a way to get local air quality forecasts directly to your email account. 

Final pre-election day thoughts

As I sit here writing my last opinion piece of this election I am reminded of a Sinatra song (My Way) "the end is near... I'll state my case...." 

Annual Resource Roundup provides service and program updates

The 6th Annual Resource Roundup is going Hawaiian. The Roundup, the best-attended human services event in Pinal County, is an agency-to-agency forum designed to provide updates on the variety of services available to clients and program participants.

COMPA candidate endorsements: Why them and why now?

Recently there have been several questions asked about COMPA, the City of Maricopa Police Association, and why we have become involved in local politics and endorsed council candidates Kimball, Marchione and Romero-Gusse.

Library’s summer program encourages residents to ‘Make a Splash’ by reading

"Make a Splash--Read." That's the theme of the Maricopa Public Library's Summer Reading Program, and registration for it started on May 1.  

Council member Farrell speaks out on public safety

For many years, I have strongly advocated on behalf of public safety for the citizens of Maricopa. I do not just advocate for public safety at election time, but have always been a strong advocate for public safety.

All waters flow to Gila River

Do you know the rivers of Maricopa?

Abandoned kitten seeks new, loving home

Snowball is a very sweet, female kitty; she is about a year old.

Teacher incentives

Given that I have also chosen to pursue a career in teaching, I wanted to investigate the pros and cons of teaching incentives and the different views.

Quilting exhibit showcases nearly 70 handcrafted works

The quilts on display at the Maricopa Public Library Friday were products of a true passion for quilting.

Victim-assistance volunteers needed

The MPD Victim Assistance Program is looking for volunteers for upcoming training. The program presently has 10 active volunteers and needs to expand its membership.

Great reads at the Maricopa Public Library

French lawyer and political philosopher Charles De Secondat once said, "I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage."
Maricopa
clear sky
53 ° F
62.7 °
46.8 °
61 %
1.3mph
0 %
Thu
77 °
Fri
81 °