Stagecoach Days starts with rides; performances and dance tonight
By Amy Willems
On the cusp of Thursday evening, Frazier Carnival at Pacana Park laid dormant. Final adjustments were being made while a few attendees started to arrive.
Tasks were completed quickly, but quietly, as workers prepped their posts for duty. Giant rubber ducks waited, floating in a barrel of water. Fish swam in circles to be won with a well-tossed ping pong ball. Over-sized stuffed frogs perched on shelves as prizes. Cotton candy silently whirled in the vendor’s kitchen and funnel cake dough was ready to be fried.
Then, the rides and the night came to life.
Letters began to twinkle with colored lights and music enlivened the atmosphere. The Ferris wheel began to rotate and the Starship whirl. Tickets were sold and families and friends began to fill the park -- young couples pushing strollers, students getting out of school, older couples out for a stroll.
Those too young for most rides immediately gravitated toward the bounce house, blow-up slide, and carousel.
The 54th annual Stagecoach Days is underway through Sunday.
Friday events include:
• Community performances, main stage, 5-8 p.m.
• Rotary Family Street Dance, 8-11 p.m.
• Frazier’s Carnival, 5-11 p.m.
Saturday events include:
• Stop the Violence fun run/walk, 7-10 a.m.
• Frazier’s Carnival, 1-11 p.m.
• Shuttles operate 2-10 p.m.
• Community performances, main stage, 3-7:30 p.m.
• Live band, Positive Attitude, 7:30-9 p.m.
Sunday events include:
• 2nd annual Historical Golf Tournament, The Duke Golf Course, 8 a.m.
• Maricopa Motorcycle Rally, Pacana North Park, noon.
• Community picnic, 1-4 p.m.
• Frazier’s Carnival, 1-5 p.m.
• All Faiths Performance and Meet the Candidates, main stage, 1-4 p.m.
For more information visit www.Maricopa4Fun.com.