Community

Community

By Joan Koczor  Initially, your primary care provider will be the first step in diagnosing many health issues. He will recommend screening, help you manage...

Breakfast treats and coffee, donated by Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks, greeted Maricopa High School teachers as they returned to campus July 17. New Principal...

By Linette Y. Caroselli Never in a million years did I think I would ever become a teacher. My dream was to be the next...

Members of the Maricopa High School volleyball team had their annual car wash Saturday to raise money for camps and extras not paid for...

By Joycelyn Cabrera A coach has been confirmed for the newly introduced Maricopa High School swim team, and she’s an award-winner. Laura Logan, 49, plans to...

The American Legion hosted its annual softball game against city staff, elected officials and community members the morning of the Fourth of July at...

In Congress, July 4, 1776. The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for...

During a long, hot summer, finding ways to keep cool has always been a priority in Maricopa. Swimming is a big temptation, but in...

Most children in Maricopa schools will return to class sooner than usual this year. The Maricopa Unified School District approved a calendar change that...

By Murray Siegel This is the third in a series of columns on the school principals in Maricopa. June Celaya, principal at Desert Wind Middle...

By Bernadette Russoniello Since the early 2000s, educational policy has placed increasing expectations on accountability through testing. Conversely, our public universities in Arizona chose to...

It will still be July when students return to class in the Maricopa Unified School District, Legacy Traditional and Sequoia Pathway this year. In exchange...

When Maricopa Elementary School became a “Leader in Me” Lighthouse school in February, it was an accomplishment students and staff had been working toward...

It’s the back-to-school shopping season and local organizations are preparing to give away backpacks and supplies to students in July. F.O.R. Maricopa and the Maricopa...

Teacher raises and competitive compensation plans for new employees are included in the proposed budget approved for Maricopa’s public school system Wednesday. Maricopa Unified School...

Maricopa High School football players tried out their summer skills in a 7-on-7 contest against Mesa June 21. Mesa will host the Rams June...

From Maricopa High School Attn: Parents of Maricopa High School Students Maricopa High School is gearing up for the 2018-2019 school year. We will be starting...

By Joan Koczor Mesothelioma (me-zoe-thee-lee-O-muh) is a rare type of cancer of the mesothelium caused by exposure to asbestos. The mesothelium is a thin membrane...

By Henry Wade As we get closer to the Aug. 28 primary election, it is becoming abundantly clear that this will be one of Maricopa’s...

Dear Editor: I want to reintroduce myself to the voters of the City of Maricopa. My name is Leon Potter. I am a write-in candidate...

Chris Troupe owns All Pro Window Film and has lived in Maricopa for almost five years. Hometown: Concord, Massachusetts Resides in: Alterra Maricopan since: 2013 Occupation: Solar Film...

A youth tackle football program is recruiting players age 6-9 for a fall season.IF YOU GO What: Militia Speed & Conditioning Clinic When: June 30, 8-10...

By Rich Vitiello Hello, Maricopa. I’m Rich Vitiello and in the running to be your next city council member. You may have seen me standing on...

Heidi Vratil began her career 22 years ago teaching in the special education department of Maricopa Unified School District’s middle and high schools. “It wasn’t...

By Bernadette Russoniello “You will have to stay in state; we can’t afford for you to leave.” This sentiment echoed in my household growing up...

Class of 2018 Valedictorian Porter Jones delivered the following address at the Maricopa High School commencement.   Hello, Class of 2018 and guests! I am honored...

The Arizona Interscholastic Association hosted the State Track and Field Championships on May 2-5 at Mesa Community College. The Maricopa High School boys finished...

Tracey Lopeman officially becomes the superintendent of Maricopa Unified School District July 1. Lopeman is currently under contract as a consultant and de facto...

By John Anderson I am writing to you with a grave concern for our veterans here in Maricopa. There is a company called Alliance Fiduciary,...

In an end-of-year changeup, Maricopa Unified School District approved dozens of personnel moves Wednesday. That included creating six new position titles involving more than 27...