Thefts from vehicles are on the rise in Maricopa. The Maricopa Police Department is offering these crime-prevention tips:
- Always park your vehicle in a locked garage.
- Always lock the doors, even when you are away from the vehicle for a short time.
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle. If you can’t take personal property with you, lock items in the trunk. Do not place them under the seat. This includes your purse or wallet, navigation device, CDs, books, cash, keys, cell phone, iPod, laptop, garage door opener, gym bag, briefcase, jewelry, tools, packages, etc. If a thief breaks into your vehicle and steals your garage door opener and keys, they have access to your home.
- Do not leave ANY mail in your vehicle. These items have your name, address and possible contain personal financial information.
- Remove “pull out” style stereos and/or removable face plates of stereos.
- Park in well-lit areas. At home, park your vehicle near porch lights. If you cannot park in a garage, install motion detection lights which will illuminate your driveway at night.
- Set all alarms or anti-theft devices.
- If you see anything suspicious, call MPD’s non-emergency line at 520-568-3673.