Did you know?
• Arizona tax law provides a credit for taxpayers who contribute to qualifying charitable organizations like Sun Life
Family Health Center!
• You can get a tax credit up to $400 if you file “single” and “head of household” or “married filing separate.”
• You can get a tax credit up to $800 if you are “married filing joint.”
What is the difference between a tax deduction and tax credit?
Both tax credits and tax deductions can help reduce the amount of taxes you pay, but in different ways. Tax deductions lower your taxable income and are equal to the percentage of your marginal tax bracket. For instance, if you are in the 25% tax bracket, an $800 deduction saves you $200 in taxes (25% x $800 = $200). On the other hand, tax credits reduce your tax liability dollar-for-dollar, down to zero. This means an $800 tax credit saves you $800 in taxes.
Which charities can I contribute to and get a tax credit?
A Qualifying Charitable Organization is a charity that that meets ALL of the following provisions:
• Is exempt from federal income taxes under Section a 501(c)(3) or is a designated community action agency that receives community services block grant program monies pursuant to 42 U.S. Code § 9901.
• Provide services that meet immediate basic needs.
• Serves Arizona residents who receive temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) benefits, are low income residents whose household income is less than 150% of the federal poverty level, or are chronically ill or physically disabled children.
• Spends at least 50% of its budget on qualified services to qualified Arizona residents.
• Affirm that it will continue spending at least 50% of its budget on qualified services to qualified Arizona residents.
Find approved charities at AZDOR.gov.
How does this help others?
At non-profit organizations like Sun Life Family Health Center, every dollar counts. Health centers face the same financial pressures private health care practices experience. Health centers often offer preventative programs for their patients that are not fully reimbursed by insurance, such as diabetes education, integrated oral health, integrated behavioral health and integrated clinical pharmacy services.
When you donate to Sun Life, you are helping care for your neighbors and improve the health of your community. Healthy communities are prosperous communities. By donating to a charitable organization like Sun Life, you are choosing where your tax dollars go and impacting your community.
How can I donate?
You can conveniently donate online at SunLifeFamilyHealth.org or send a check to:
Sun Life Family Health Center, Inc.
Attn: Community Outreach
P.O. Box 10097
Casa Grande, AZ 85155
To get a better idea of how tax credits work and whether you qualify, you need to know what is available to taxpayers in your situation, such as your filing status, age, employment and education. It is important to remember that just because you qualify for one type of tax credit does not mean that you qualify for the rest. Talk to your tax preparer to see if you qualify to take advantage of the tax credit for charitable organizations.
Sources: Internal Revenue Service, Arizona Department of Revenue
Dana Rodriguez, PHD,