The last of three massive water towers that marked the Maricopa area on the railroad tracks in the 1880s, the 60-foot water tower has become an architectural symbol of the town. One of its early brothers was apparently in old Maricopaville two miles west of the current city. Its better-remembered twin collapsed during a 1973 storm. No one knows when the surviving tower was constructed, but it existed when the first train left Maricopa in 1887. It held 50,000 gallons of water, and is now empty. These days, it is one of the most photographed sites in Maricopa.
This item appears in the April issue of InMaricopa.