Heavy white smoke billowed from the McDonald’s restaurant on John Wayne Parkway late Saturday night as firefighters worked to extinguish a kitchen fire from within.
The Maricopa Fire/Medical Department responded April 7 to a report of a fire at McDonald’s, 20700 N. John Wayne Parkway, at approximately 11:30 p.m., said MFMD Capt. Brad Pitassi.
Firefighters from the Chandler and Goodyear Fire Departments assisted as automatic aid partners.
A grease fire was reportedly to blame, according to reports from restaurant staff to the first crew on scene. No injuries were reported to emergency medical personnel.
“All occupants were outside, the fire sprinklers were flowing in the kitchen and the fire protection equipment over the skillets was activated,” Pitassi said.
Crews quickly extinguished a small fire in the kitchen and removed smoke using fans, he said.
Fire investigators were still on scene as of 1:50 a.m. April 8.
The McDonald’s is one of three franchise locations in Maricopa and is the only to operate 24/7. The restaurant does not have an expected re-opening date at this time.