HISTORY - 1949 Flood Maricopa Road
Flooding is seen near the Richfield service station on the old Maricopa Road in 1949. Photo from “Reflections of a Desert Town”; Maricopa Historical Association

This flooding scene near the Richfield service station on the old Maricopa Road in 1949 was captured by a photographer looking north from atop one of the water towers. Farther north on the same side of the street is the first schoolhouse, which later became the location of Headquarters Bar and Restaurant. On the east side of Maricopa Road (across from Richfield) is Rhoton’s market and blacksmith shop, which became the site of the now-former Valley/Napa Auto. The scene today was captured with a drone by Kevin Vasquez, a Maricopa High School student.

Maricopa Road 2021
The scene looking north from the water tower. Photo by Kevin Vasquez

This feature appears in the June issue of InMaricopa magazine.