For decades, Maricopans were able to cool off in the summer with a dip in the swimming pool at Rotary Park. Built to lessen drowning deaths in irrigation ditches, the pool was dug by the Rotary Club, and was open from 1958 to 2014. The park, which was on Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway, was removed for the new road alignment, and the old pool was filled in. The land is now part of Maricopa Historical Society’s plans for a park next to the California Zephyr rail car Silver Horizon as it prepares to create a museum at what is now Maricopa Veterans Center next door.
This item appears in the May issue of InMaricopa.