After a 1931 fire destroyed Art Deal’s hotel and the railroad station, Jack and Clara Burkett decided to build another hotel. It was located at the southwest junction of the railroad tracks and Maricopa Road on the lot now occupied by F.O.R. Maricopa’s blue business barn. The new Maricopa Hotel included a basement, main floor and upstairs dance hall. It was reportedly the first place to buy liquor in Maricopa after Prohibition ended. The Burketts later added a café on the south side. For a time, the hotel also served as the post office. The hotel was destroyed by a fire in 1954.
This item appears in the November issue of InMaricopa.