It’s sad, Catherine Bailey of the Maricopa Community/Senior Center laments, there are new people who don’t even know there is a center in the city – and sadder still she doesn’t see many established seniors in the city coming to the center to take part in an activity.
“I am calling on all of you to spread the word,” she wrote in a recent news release. “When was the last time you saw a neighbor and mentioned to them about coming out on Tuesday mornings at 10 a.m. to our meet-and-greet/coffee-and-doughnuts? It’s a great way to meet new people and find out more about what is happening here at the center and here in Maricopa.”
Bailey says the staff at the center, 41614 W. Smith Enke Road, Suite 100, is brainstorming to get people to come in, have fun, get to know each other and form friendships. One possibility, she says, is new games, and not limited to card games.
Starting in October, at 10 a.m. on the first Friday of the month there will be bunco. Instructions will be given for the dice game. No sign-up is required.
Also, on the first Friday of October, at 1 p.m. there will be Pegs and Jokers, a racing/board game.
On Friday, Oct. 14, at 1 p.m., mah jongg and bingo will be offered.
“And, as always, if there is a game that you would like to see offered here at the center, let us know,” Bailey said. “Better yet, bring a friend and the game and invite others to join you. Just check with the front desk to be sure there is space available.”
Bailey said there has been interest in starting a walking group with cooler weather approaching. Those interested should email Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
She notes that most activities are free and do not require registration, however, many people are failing to register for events that do require sign-up. When food is provided at an event, for example, a sign-up in advance is required because the center does not have kitchen facilities and food is ordered in advance. Therefore, an accurate head count is needed.
- Beginner line-dancing class is 12 noon Wednesday, Sept. 28. Bring your water and enjoy dancing and exercise.
- Grief Journey group meets at 1 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 29. If you’ve recently lost a loved one or are struggling to get over the loss of one, this group provides support.
- The next blood-pressure clinic is Monday, Oct. 17, 9-10 a.m. at the center.
- The Tuesday, Oct. 18, meet-and-greet becomes Bingo Palooza. Sign-up is required.
- The Halloween costume party with bingo is 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31.