4, including firefighter, taken to hospital in Province swimming-pool chlorine leak; 7 others treated

Fire and Medical crews from multiple cities responded to a hazardous materials situation at Province this morning. Eleven people were treated and four, including a firefighter, were transported to local hospitals.

Four people, including a Maricopa firefighter, were transported to hospitals after a chlorine leak at an indoor swimming pool at Province Community Recreation Center prompted a hazmat response from the Fire and Medical Department on Wednesday morning.

A Province swimming-pool chlorine leak prompted a hazmat response Wednesday in which four people, including a firefighter, were taken to a hospital. [Justin Griffin/InMaricopa]
The firefighter was treated and released. The three others who were transported are listed in stable condition.

In all, 11 people were treated near the pool, in the 20900 block of Province Parkway, after a call at about 10 a.m. that several people there were having difficulty breathing.

Upon arrival at the pool, firefighters noticed a distinct chlorine smell and upgraded the call to a hazardous-materials situation, according to city public information officer Monica Williams. Multiple agencies responded, including a Chandler Fire Department hazmat team.

A Province hazmat incident involving leaking chlorine near an indoor swimming pool, caused 11 people to be treated for difficulty breathing Wednesday. A firefighter was among four people taken to a hospital. [Justin Griffin/InMaricopa]
Crews identified the cause of the odor as a chlorine leak originating at the center’s indoor pool.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.