A 1949 photo from atop the water tower was taken after a flood. The Maricopa dirt road heading north runs along the bed for the former Maricopa & Phoenix Railroad line that stopped running in the mid-1930s. Maricopa Market is the upper-right, white building. Today, the road is John Wayne Parkway, also known as State Route 347, also known as Maricopa Road.
This item appears in the January issue of InMaricopa.