Correction: The VIP Pool Party requires separate registration and fee. An earlier version of this story mistakenly said the pool party was included with a Tailgate ticket.
The City of Maricopa hosts a tailgate and Great American 4th celebration, including fireworks, today at Copper Sky.
Tailgate, 12-5 p.m.
The event begins at noon with a tailgate in the Copper Sky parking lot (near the dog park and south soccer fields) that runs until 5 p.m. Guests can hang out with friends and family for a barbecue, but guests must bring their own grill. Activities, contests and competitions are planned.
At 5 p.m., participants must confine their areas to one parking space but are welcome to set up a pop-up tent in the south fields to enjoy the evening’s entertainment and events.
Advance registration for the Tailgate and a VIP pool party is $40 per car, or $35 for Copper Sky annual members. Registration is $60 and there is no Copper Sky discount on the day of the event.
Party registrants must be 21+ and show proof of age at check-in. The tailgate pass includes a parking space for one vehicle at the tailgate and fireworks. Registration also includes a liquor permit and six tailgate wristbands that must be worn to participate in activities or possess alcohol on the event grounds. Activities will include waterslides, contests, lawn games and access to the karaoke finals.
Guests can visit www.ga4th.com to register for the tailgate and pool party online or call 520-316-4600 for more information. Guests should bring a screenshot or paper receipt and photo ID of the original registrant to gain admission.
In addition, tailgaters will have reserved space in the south fields to set up pop-up tents to enjoy fireworks later in the evening. The city requires shade structures to be weighted down with sandbags or something similar. Staking in the turf will not be allowed.
Activities, games and contests will be held through the day for guests with wristbands, including:
- The Ultimate Tailgater Contest runs all day for enthusiasts who want to win bragging rights, a trophy and four tickets to Jason Aldean’s “Back in the Saddle” concert Sept. 30 at Ak-Chin Pavilion. Judging throughout the day will determine which guest best exemplifies the spirit of tailgating and the USA. Participant exuberance and tailgate décor will be taken into consideration. The winner will be announced at 6 p.m.
- 12:30 p.m. – Waterslide Alley will feature large inflatable waterslides ranging in height from 16-feet to 40-feet.
- 1:15 p.m. – For Minute to Win It, staff will randomly select 10 lucky tailgate areas to compete in challenges to win $10 gift cards.
- 2 p.m. – A Cornhole Tournament will feature up to 20 teams vying for a $100 prize. Registration on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 3 p.m. – A Snowball Launch Contest, sponsored by Bahama Buck’s, will feature 10 teams of three (first-come, first-serve) launching snowballs at targets for Bahama Buck’s prizes.
- 4 p.m. – The traditional July 4 Cherry Pie Eating Contest will challenge 10 contestants to eat as much cherry pie as they can in three minutes. Gift cards up to $100 will be awarded to top three competitors, who must be 18 or older to participate.
- 5:30 p.m. – A Maricopa Mullet Contest will honor the iconic ’80s haircut with contestants showing off their haircut to the crowd from the main stage. The winner will receive a $200 gift card and $100 gift basket to maintain their mullet in style.
VIP Pool Party, 5-8:30 p.m.
A VIP Pool Party will be held from 5-8:30 p.m. at the Copper Sky Aquatic Center. Admission to the ’80s-themed party is $5 per person for Copper Sky Annual Members and $10 for non-members. Children 3 and younger are free and the event will include activities and a DJ. Admission to the pool party is limited, so guests are encouraged to register early.
Great American 4th, 7 p.m. to conclusion of fireworks
The Great American 4th kicks off at 7 p.m. with family fun, a musical concert and motocross exhibition and concludes with a Grand Fireworks Display at 9 p.m.
The event will feature a walk-up GLOW Dart Boogie arena where guests age 7 and older can play foam dart games, from target practice to Capture the Flag to Free 4 All for just $10 per hour. All safety gear and equipment is included.
From 7:30-8:30 p.m., the Phoenix-based Highway 85 Band will take the stage, playing classic rock hits from legendary bands such as the Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
At 8:30 p.m., an exhibition will feature Maricopa’s own legendary freestyle motocross (FMX) rider Vince Morgan. He and Brigade FMX will perform a variety of stunts and aerials.
The fireworks display begins at 9 p.m.
GA4th event parking is limited and costs $10, payable by cash or card. Entrance is at State Route 347 and Bowlin Road. Discounted $5 prepaid parking passes and complimentary passes for Copper Sky Annual members are available at the Copper Sky member services desk until noon on July 4.