The City of Maricopa has been filling in the pool at the former Rotary Park as part of the plans to re-use the space next to Maricopa Unified School District and Maricopa Veterans Center. The property is now the new home of the California Zephyr railcar, which sits on the highway side of the old pool.
The pool opened in 1958, thanks to donations of money, labor and time by members of the Rotary Club and other residents of the community. It closed in 2014 after the opening of Copper Sky. Last year, the realignment of Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway and creation of Plainview Street wiped out most of Rotary Park, leaving only the pool on the land that had been donated by the Smith family.
Landscaping and parking are already planned for the area around the Zephyr.