In an out-of-conference showdown Sept. 15, the Desert Sunrise Golden Hawks football team faced came up short versus the Flagstaff Eagles and suffered a 27-0 shutout loss in the school’s first-ever homecoming.
With this loss, the Desert Sunrise Golden Hawks fall to 0-3 on the year. Their next matchup is a non-league contest against Vista Grande on Friday.
Vista Grande is coming off a strong 41-19 victory over Prescott, and they hold a spotless 4-0 record on the season.
Here’s a closer look at some key player stats from last week’s game:
- Desert Sunrise’s quarterback, Mike Wallace (Jr), completed 21 of 32 passes for a total of 192 yards, with a completion percentage of .656. He also threw one touchdown pass and had a quarterback rating of 68.8.
- In the rushing department, Alexander Jones (Jr) carried the ball 4 times for 5 yards, averaging 1.3 yards per carry.
- R. Evans Jr. (Jr) had 4 rushing attempts, gaining a total of 11 yards at an average of 2.8 yards per carry.
- Mike Wallace (Jr) rushed 2 times but lost 10 yards, resulting in a negative average of -5.0 yards per carry.
- Alexis Benitez (Jr) contributed with 1 carry, gaining 4 yards at an average of 4.0 yards per carry.
- Alexander Jones (Jr) caught 5 passes for 22 yards, averaging 4.4 yards per reception.
- R. Evans Jr. (Jr) had 2 receptions for 20 yards, with an average of 10.0 yards per catch.
- Nicholas Droste (So) made 4 receptions for 23 yards, averaging 5.8 yards per reception.
- K. McCutcheon-Cornish (Jr) was a standout receiver with 5 catches for 101 yards, averaging an impressive 20.2 yards per reception.
- Other contributors to the receiving game included E. Orian (So) and J. DaMariny Dominguez (Jr).
Offensive Fumbles and Pancake Blocks:
- Desert Sunrise had 2 offensive fumbles, both of which were lost. Alexander Jones (Jr) and Mike Wallace (Jr) were involved in these fumbles.
- Alexander Jones (Jr) showcased his versatility with a total of 39 all-purpose yards, combining rushing, receiving, and kick returns.
- K. McCutcheon-Cornish (Jr) was a significant contributor with 149 all-purpose yards.
- Mike Wallace (Jr) had -10 all-purpose yards due to rushing losses.
- Desert Sunrise accumulated a total of 202 offensive yards in the game, with a balanced mix of rushing and passing.
Photo gallery by Bryan Mordt.