The Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino High Roller Team hosted a bake sale on Sept. 12 to raise funds for the Susan G. Koman 3-Day.
The High Rollers, who are participating in the Susan G. Komen 60-mile, three-day event in San Diego Nov. 15-17, raised $1,209.39. All proceeds will benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
“Every year our team travels to San Diego to participate in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day,” said Lauren Conley. “It’s a powerful event that raises awareness and funds for a very important issue. We’re lucky to work for an organization that has a long-standing reputation of promoting wellness and giving back to the community.”
The bake sale is just one of many events that are a part of Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino’s annual HERO Campaign for the Cause, an effort that raises awareness and funds throughout the year for women’s and men’s health issues.
According to the Susan G. Komen 3-Day:
• In 2019, more than 260,000 women and more than 2,600 men in the U.S. are expected to be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.
• One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
• Every two minutes, one case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman in the U.S.
• In 2019, more than 41,000 women and 500 men in the U.S. are expected to die from breast cancer.
• Early detection and effective treatment have resulted in a 39 percent decline in breast cancer mortality (deaths) in the U.S. between 1989-2015.
• It’s estimated that at least 154,000 people in the U.S. are living with metastatic breast cancer. There are more than 3.5 million people diagnosed with breast cancer living in the U.S. today.