The Maricopa Hotel was owned and operated by Arthur Deal (pictured with his son) from 1917 to 1931. It sat on a plot of land adjacent to West Mercado Street and North John Wayne Parkway, just across from the Amtrak station sits today.
It was called Edwards Hotel in the 1890s and McCarthy House in the 1900s. The hotel burned down in 1931.
After the fire, the old hotel’s foundation was repurposed for several businesses — a small grocery store, blacksmith shop and NAPA Auto Parts. NAPA Auto Parts was demolished in 2020, the year after the John Wayne Parkway overpass opened.