More grandparents becoming parents again

More than six million children - about 8 percent of American kids -- live with their grandparents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The University of California at Berkeley Center on Aging says in the past 10 years the number of children living with their grandparents has increased by 50 percent.

Maricopa will celebrate its veterans with several Thursday events

Veterans Day 2010 will feature multiple events to remember and celebrate Maricopa's veterans, as well as those who are now serving our nation's military.

Honor all veterans on Veterans Day

I served my country from 1988 through 1994, in the United States Air Force, but when I was younger, I never told people about my service or acknowledged that I am a U.S. Veteran. After 9/11, as many other Americans did, I revitalized my patriotism and have been heavily involved in veteran causes ever since.

DSPA Gems’ Fiesta Dinner raising food bank, dance scholarship funds

Desert Sun Performing Arts Gems is partnering with the F.O.R. Maricopa food bank for a Fiesta Dinner sponsored by Community of Hope Church. 

Rancho El Dorado residents socialize at 4th annual community event

Residents of Rancho El Dorado headed to Jane Askew Park Saturday for the community's 4th Annual Social. An estimated 500 residents turned out for the event.  

Stroller Strides and March of Dimes® partner to spotlight rising trend in preterm births

Stroller Strides, the country's largest exercise program for new moms and their babies, is again partnering with the March of Dimes to raise awareness, and dollars, to help focus attention on the serious health complications of preterm births.

Firehouse recipe: Chicken and Ritz

This tasty dish was whipped up by firefighter Chip Wright to feed himself and six or seven of his colleagues at Fire Station 571 on North Porter Road.  

Charles M. Clark: first military telegrapher at Maricopa Wells

Charles M. Clark wrote about his stay at Maricopa Wells in the 1870s as the first military telegraph operator. He was just a teenager at the time...only 17 years old.

There’s still time to protect yourself from flu

Arizona continues to see sporadic flu activity. There were five new cases that the state identified last week. So far, there is only one confirmed case in Pinal County, but medical professionals say there is no doubt that flu season is on its way.  

Debut signing of local author’s book Saturday at the library

Local resident and recently published author Shelley Gillespie will launch her book, "Hiking for the Couch Potato," Saturday at the Maricopa Public Library, 41600 W Smith-Enke Rd.

American Planning Association honors Pinal County Comprehensive Plan

The Arizona chapter of the American Planning Association announced yesterday that the Pinal County Comprehensive Plan has been recognized as the best General/Comprehensive Plan for a place with a population greater than 50,000.  

Pinal-Gila Long Term Care celebrates 20th anniversary

A celebration was in order last week as Pinal County leaders, staff, member representatives and service providers gathered to recognize Long Term Care's two decades of service to communities in Pinal and Gila counties.  

How to protect yourself from car burglary

As a police department, we have strived to increase the public's perception of safety and I believe we have accomplished this with the results of the latest citizen survey. While the job of criminal apprehension is the main goal of the police department, crime detection and crime prevention is a partnership between the citizens of Maricopa and your police department.

Photos to raise funds for homeless families

Desert Star Gymnastics and Amy Jamieson Photography will host a holiday photo day on Saturday, Nov. 6, and the public is invited.

Supervisor Snider: Response to PCSO’s anti-smuggling enforcement unit request

I'd like to take a few minutes to talk about the matter of Sheriff Babeu's request for some $1.5M of emergency funding from Pinal County coffers for the purpose of creating and equipping a special interdiction squad or "anti-smuggling enforcement unit."

Charming Chihuahuas looking for loving homes

At about three pounds each, Prince and Chuck are charming little male Chihuahuas.

Deadbeat dad judge candidate spends for campaign but can’t pay child support

I find it shocking that Frank Gagliardi can run for Pinal County Justice of the Peace in District 8 because he has so many personal issues that relate to his integrity and honesty - both qualities a person needs to be a Judge. 

Are safe deposit boxes actually safe?

We all have important documents and valuables in our homes that we want to protect from theft and disaster. For many people, safe deposit boxes at banks provide a safe place to store those valuables outside of the home.

I ask for your vote for school board

I am married and a mother of four children. My oldest graduated with high honors from Maricopa High School this past May and is now attending Arizona State University with a scholarship. I have two children attending Pima Butte Elementary and my youngest will start there in the fall. I have been a resident of Maricopa since 2005, and I am an active member of this community, volunteering with several organizations and events.

Halloween safety tips for kids, adults–and drivers

The American Red Cross offers these safety tips for children, parents and drivers.

Why I’m supporting Steve Smith for State Senate

As we face one of the most difficult times in our state's history, Arizona needs strong and energetic leadership.

Maricopa Wells: horse thieves and robberies

Cris Giesler shares his experiences at Pinal and Maricopa Wells, the center for horse thieves and robberies, in this letter. 

Frank Pratt not truthful about record on education

As a father of three children, one of them a recent ASU graduate, I understand how important it is to prepare our students for a global workforce and the jobs of the future. That's why this upcoming election is so critical.

Church of Celebration hosting 4th Annual Trick or Treat event

The Church of Celebration (COC) family has spent three months collecting candy, planning and then organizing 250 volunteers for this year's 4th Annual Maricopa Trick or Treat scheduled for Oct. 31 from 4-8 p.m. at Pacana Park, 1900 N. Porter Rd.  

Local theatre group auditioning next week for Shakespeare comedy

Maricopa Community Theatre is pleased to announce auditions for "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare(abridged)" by Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield.  

Halloween and your pets

There are a few measures that your family can take that will make Halloween enjoyable for you and your furry companions.

Local veterans’ groups sponsoring 2nd Annual Bailey Boxes Fun Run

On Saturday, Oct. 30, Maricopa's VFW Post #12043 and American Legion Post #133 will sponsor a fundraiser for Bailey Boxes, the 2nd Annual Bailey Boxes Fun Run.

Steve Smith will bring change for Maricopa and Arizona

The city of Maricopa has never truly had a voice in the Arizona Legislature, but I intend on changing this.  As a resident of our great city, along with my wife and two daughters, I support local businesses as I currently operate a profitable Arizona company. 

Eat at Arby’s, play Win it in a Minute to help fight cancer

Thursday, from 5-8 p.m., Maricopa residents can take their families to Arby's for dinner and help fight cancer at the same time.  

Orbitel email users get new Google powered system Nov. 2

Orbitel Communications announced major enhancements are coming on Nov. 2. for Orbitel internet customers who use orbitelcom.com email accounts.  The new system will be powered by Google Appsâ„¢ on the most stable and reliable service environment in the industry.
Maricopa
clear sky
76.2 ° F
79.8 °
73.2 °
16 %
1.9mph
0 %
Tue
89 °
Wed
88 °