Trains have always been a part of Maricopa and are the reason the town exists where it does. The first “trains” were horse and mule trains bringing in supplies for miners up north or for parts west of Maricopa Wells (the community’s first location in 1857). In 1931, fire destroyed the Maricopa Depot and Wells Fargo & Express building. Photo courtesy of Maricopa Historical Society
This item appeared in the May issue of InMaricopa.