In 1930, Electrical District No. 3 brought electrical power to homes in western Pinal County, including Maricopa. Powerlines were installed to serve Maricopa and west Casa Grande. Sixty workers constructed extension lines and a power substation. The substation was 18 miles south of Maricopa. The contractors were Arizona Edison Company and Salt River Valley Water Users Association, answering to the Department of the Interior. Workers constructed extension lines north of Maricopa and north of Gila River as well an extension line that ran several miles from the substation to west of Hidden Valley. The estimated cost was $500,000. The lines supplied power to Districts 3 and 4, the latter comprised of Picacho, Eloy and Toltec.
Maricopa Historical Society
This item appears in the February issue of InMaricopa.