66.7 F
Maricopa
Thursday, May 2, 2024

Classes are essential for drowning prevention

Classes and various types of training may be required for specific career or job, and, as adults, we understand that. Being a parent is a full-time job, one that requires specialized training for us to be successful.

PCSO Mounted Unit receives $20,000 donation

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office announced Monday that Chandler Warden has presented Sheriff Paul Babeu with a $20,000 check to assist with the PCSO Mounted Unit. 

Loving Lily would be an easy thing to do

Lily is a purebred female, purchased as a pup from a breeder.

Our children should be protected

I want to share a story that I am hoping to raise awareness about. On September 13 my children's school, Sequoia Pathways Academy here in Maricopa, had a ceremony named "A Day to Remember, September 11." I was informed this event was to honor rescue workers, police and fire.

Kids Day crowd underscores success of health, safety messages

With attendance estimated at about 1,800 over a five-hour period, Saturday's Kids Day Maricopa had the most successful response in its three-year event history.

City offering free firewood this week

Free firewood is available every day this week, from 6-8 p.m., at Pacana Park.  

Ex-drug dealer speaks to youth

Drug dealer turned motivational speaker Robert D. Boyd, Jr., will be speaking out to children about the dangers of a life of drugs and gangs this Wednesday, Sept. 22, at the Maricopa Youth Recreation Center.

Maricopa fire captain answers call

Duty called, and Maricopa resident Will Sherwood answered a very unique call.

New library hours, successful book sale, exhibits open

Maricopa Public Library has new hours, new exhibits and will be the recipient of the proceeds from the recent, successful Friends of the Library book sale.

Maricopa’s 1910 love affair with autos

In 1910 Maricopa had one auto for every nine inhabitants. (Maricopa Census in 1900:160) 

Great reads at the Maricopa Public Library

A good book is easy to find at the Maricopa Public Library.

M.A.S.H. names Castellanos as new coordinator

The M.A.S.H. coalition has a new coordinator, Dawniele Castellanos, a Maricopa resident since 2006.

MFD’s Schulz travels 2,400 miles to raise cancer awareness

He describes it as a "life-altering experience." The look in his eye as Carlos Schulz talks about the journey he took last month as a "guardian of the ribbon" on the Pink Heals Tour makes you believe it.

Using Layers of Protection to protect your family

In this article I will discuss the layers of protection needed to help prevent a drowning from happening to you or a loved one. 

Fundraiser Monday for pet rescues like Daisy

For the third year in a row Pet Social Worker, a local, non-profit pet rescue, and Brooklyn Boys Pizzeria have teamed up to raise funds for local homeless, abandoned and stray animals.

3rd Annual Kids Day to promote health, safety, crime prevention

This year's Kids Day Maricopa will be held on Saturday at Maricopa Wells Middle School from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Leadership or servant leadership?

In a recent newspaper article Mayor Smith was criticized for lack of leadership. I have to agree with the article since I don't consider him just a leader, I consider him a good servant leader.

Sky Harbor luggage contents theft victims urged to call hotline

If you traveled out of Sky Harbor Airport from Terminals 2 and 4 in the last year and received your luggage at your destination, but were missing some items, Phoenix police may have them.

City open house to discuss possible White & Parker grade separation

The city of Maricopa will host an open house on Sept. 16. to discuss the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway (MCG) - White and Parker Road Major Investment Study.

2010 Pinal County resident survey results

Pinal County Government consulted with the National Research Center in Boulder, Colo. and asked residents for their input regarding services and quality of life in Pinal County.

PCSO reduces call for service response times

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office has reduced emergency response times by over two minutes and 30 seconds during the past two years.  

Pinal County Community Forums begin Sept. 14

Beginning on Sept. 14, Pinal County is hosting a series of evening sessions to acquaint the public with the duties of the county, its budget structure, services that are mandated by statutes and more. 

Red Cross urges Arizonans to get prepared

September 2010 is National Preparedness Month, a time set aside for the last seven years to encourage Americans to prepare for emergencies in their homes, businesses and communities.

County resuming open burn permits on Sept. 15

Pinal County Air Quality will resume issuing open burning permits in portions of Pinal County on Sept. 15. 

Apollo loves people

Apollo is a gorgeous, six-year-old Husky.

MUSD should rescind override decision

In July the Maricopa Unified School District governing board voted to ask Maricopa taxpayers - for the third time in 12 months - to approve an override to the district's maintenance and operating budget. I was inclined to support the action then, but am questioning the wisdom of it now.

Quadrille de Mujeres library exhibit opens Saturday

The Maricopa Historical Society is honoring Stagecoach Days with new exhibits at the Maricopa Public Library on Sept. 11. One of the exhibits highlights the Quadrille de Murjeres.

1st Annual Miss Maricopa Pageant applicants wanted

Calling all girls age 17-24. Hurry; don't miss out on trying out for the Miss Maricopa Pageant.

Saturday is the day to support your Maricopa Public Library

All types of books in various genres at bargain prices will be offered this Saturday to suit the reading tastes of Maricopa book lovers, both young and old.  
Maricopa
clear sky
66.7 ° F
72.9 °
63.5 °
35 %
0.6mph
1 %
Thu
87 °
Fri
90 °